The following is a guest post by research assistant and team member, Natalie Mazur. This June, Natalie is presenting The Experiences of Women in Undergraduate Engineering at the 9th Canadian Engineering Education Association’s Annual Conference., Vancouver, Canada. The paper can be downloaded here .
Its been a busy few months. We gear up for the York University move in January. Our recent news includes:
Our team has won a number of recent research awards. Lauren Folk (now a graduate student on our team) won the Adjeleian Allen Rubeli Award Best undergraduate thesis 2017 at Carleton this fall. Her work is a collaboration with ARUP Fire that studied care home evacuation. We received three undergraduate research scholarships to study: Poverty in Canada, Timber in fire and GFRPs.
Our research team received four NSERC USRA scholarships this summer (up from two last summer). The students (Natalie, Ben, Chloe and Seth) with these scholarships will study a variety of projects from Modelling pedestrian flow, timber design, to studying travelling fires with our international and national collaborators. These national awards at Carleton are given to undergraduate students who are excelling academically and have an interest to pursue further graduate studies.
Our graduate students Hailey Q won an Ontario Graduate Student Award, and so too did Matthew Smith as he recently won the SFPE National Capital Region Chapter Scholarship for Fire Safety Engineering for his thesis and these results are currently being distributed through the Canadian Institute of Steel Construction. In addition Arlin won Provost Scholar. In total the research team received about 36k in scholarships this past month.
Had an absolute grand time crushing Legos with Hailey Todd and the virtual ventures summer camp at Carleton University this week. Thought Id pass on some of the results we observed. Unlike the previous study conducted for the BBC where only one Lego block type was tested, we really wanted to understand what happens with Lego under a realistic building configurations and loading scenarios. So we took typical Lego blocks of 1×1, 1×2, 1×3 and 1×4 brick sizes and tested them in a loading actuator with compressive displacement control (mm per minute).
What we observed was that as the size increased so too did the ability to carry load (see graph below). Though it was not proportional to the added stud-brick for each block. We did not cap the Legos because we wanted to see the full effect. Basically the failure mechanism is as follows, the test begins with load being applied and the Lego brick ‘stud’ is pushed into the block giving a flat loading surface along the top of the block, there is a small elastic phase and then we begin to crush the Lego block (its peak load). Later we did cap the Lego and saw some interesting differences in peak load and failure pattern (see below).
We opted to use Lego as a teaching example as its a relatable building material to youths. I think its a gate way to show them just how strong materials are when you can relate them to the day to day lives, obviously we get them hooked there, and progress to crushing concrete and breaking steel much after.